Monday, March 1, 2010

Prayers for Layla

A friend of mine on facebook posted a link to a blog: www.laylagrace.org. She asked for prayers for this family and encouraged everyone to look at Layla's story. I spend the next hour reading archived posts from Layla's courageous mom and dad. The tears started flowing...and flowing, but I kept reading about the brave little girl who is dying from cancer while so young. I read about the sacrifices that her parents have made and how all her mom wanted was a family picture before Layla could no longer hold up her head. I read an entry from her dad and how all he wanted was for his little girl to no longer be in pain. They have accepted the fact that she is dying and will not be with them for much longer. Layla's dad was not acting for a miracle. He was not asking for God to cure Layla of the cancer that has overtaken her small helpless body. He was only asking that his baby not suffer and be comfortable in her last days.

I look back and think about Porter in the hospital at 3 weeks old. I think about the fear and emotion that both Eric and I felt. I can't think what it would feel like to say good bye to our baby boy. What we went through was peanuts. It was rough and not something I want to go through again, but not even close to what Layla's parents are going through. So tonight as I rocked and laid Porter down to sleep, I prayed for Layla and her parents. I prayed for all parents that have a sick child. I did not pray for miracles...but I prayed that God give all those parents the strength to get through another day. I prayed that those sick babies are comfortable....and I will continue to pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment